Google Andriod Features February 15, 2009Posted by hasnain110 in Uncategorized.
**Specifications taken from Wikipedia
- The platform is adaptable to larger, VGA, 2D graphics library, 3D graphics library based on OpenGL ES 1.0 specifications, and traditional smartphone layouts.
- The Database Software SQLite is used for data storage purposes
- Android supports connectivity technologies including GSM/EDGE, CDMA, EV-DO, UMTS, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi.
- SMS and MMS are available forms of messaging including threaded text messaging.
- Web browser
- Main article: WebKit
- The web browser available in Android is based on the open-source WebKit application framework.
- Dalvik virtual machine
- Software written in Java can be compiled into Dalvik bytecodes and executed in the Dalvik virtual machine, which is a specialized VM implementation designed for mobile device use, although not technically a standard Java Virtual Machine.
- Media support
- Android will support audio/video/still media formats such as MPEG-4, H.264, MP3, AAC, OGG, AMR, JPEG, PNG, GIF.
- Additional hardware support
- Android can utilize video/still cameras, touchscreens, GPS, accelerometers, and accelerated 3D graphics.
- Development environment
- Includes a device emulator, tools for debugging, memory and performance profiling, a plugin for the Eclipse IDE.
- Similar to the App Store on the iPhone, The Android Market is a catalog of applications that can be downloaded and installed to target hardware over-the-air, without the use of a PC. Currently only freeware applications are supported, although Google has announced plans to allow developers to offer paid applications as well.